Saturday, November 8, 2008

The President Elect and the Office of the President

The first press conference of the new era is in the books and I am extremely put off with the President Elect. Already? You may ask. Yes, already. I have never seen any President Elect announce with such aplomb and fanfare that he was in fact the President Elect. The podium with the sign proclaiming "The Office of the President Elect" was bit too much for me. The quasi realistic seal at the top of the sign also smacked of arrogance. The Office of the President deserves respect, George Bush currently holds that office, and whether you believe he deserves respect or not makes no difference. Some deference to the office should be shown. The equation is simple, until January 20th George Bush is President of the United States and Barack Obama is a Senator from Illinois.

If this is a sign of the arrogance that will come from this new administration then we are in trouble. It seems to me he should be more concerned with building his team and choosing his cabinet, than he should be with boldly letting everyone know that he is the President Elect. Call me old fashioned, but this just rubbed me the wrong way. I'm sure it won't be the last thing that rubs me wrong in the next four years...

No comments: